Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Free Counselling Program (Post-Natal Depression)

After having our gorgeous little princess it was very hard for me as I hardly slept because she was waking up every 3 hours to feed (and breastfeeding was really painfull), my partner was working long hours and I did not want to ask for extra help as I felt it was totally my responsibility.

Just days before having our princess we moved houses, that was really stressful for me as I could not help a lot because I was really tired and sore by then. We were living in a rented house moving to another rented house so we were looking and applying for many houses until we found the one. It was not easy to find a house, specially with a dog! or two!

After my little princess was two weeks old my partner decided to change his job! I wanted to kill him! He said everything its going to be ok, I found another job. After months and months we were just surviving to pay rent and food. After 5 months of straggling with money, my partner decided to go back to his previous job where he receive a good money for it, very good money. I was happy because I knew it was the right decision. However, at the same time he got involved in a business where we used to spend lots of money to make it grow! but we were still living a better lifestyle than for the last 5 months. After working for less than a year he lost his job for the Recession!

I was also worried because my little princess was having a flat head as she used to spend lots of time in the pram. I started Uni again full-time to finish my degree and I put on lots and lots of weight! I was not the young funny slim party girl anymore! Instead I was a mum, fat housewife with no life at all. My life was only oriented to my little angel and my partner.

I got depression after it, well I think. I used to be the people who does not believe in depression and even hate people with it because I always used to think it is all in your mind, you can control that! I did not think that external factors can affect so much! I was living in my parents home until I started to live with my partner, I used to buy shoes and bags every time and go to every single music concert that I could because I was working and I had my own money and I did not need to pay for rent or food or bills!! However when I became a mum and living with my gorgeous man all the external factors were going bad, really bad. I got really grumpy, lost my pacience everytime, I had mood swings, I used to cry for no reason, and I was just angry really angry. My GP put me on anti-deppresants and I was so much better and happier but I didnt want to go on drugs as I was studying long hours for Uni as well. After couple of months I decided to leave them and I made the worst decision because it was actually worst!! so I decided to go to Counselling and my GP told me about this Government Counselling Program where you only pay AU$10 per session; a session it is an hour. It is so good! My life is starting to change again. I will keep you post how I'm doing :)

No comments:

Post a Comment